The Delivery Page  :-)
Ok here's the story. On Monday, 12/22/03, I was feeling pretty well, after waking up that night with horrible heartburn. I had a slight lower backache all day, but nothing I was concerned about. Monday night, before I went to bed, I decided to get the Tums by my bedside, just in case, and to go ahead and drink some ginger powder mixed with water. I also didn't take any Tylenol, because I thought maybe it had affected my stomach. I was hoping for a good night's rest.
At about 4:15 a.m., I woke up with the same pain as the night before - a heartburn type of pain that was getting stronger. I immediately took two Tums, hoping those would do it. 30 minutes later the pain was worse, so I drank some more ginger powder and water. Another 30 minutes later still no relief, so I tried two more Tums. Within 15 minutes I became nauseous and threw up, Tums and all. I was starting to think this wasn't heartburn after all. The pain was very instense, all through my upper abdomen, up into my chest, and around to my upper back. I couldn't even lay back because it hurt so much.
At this point I decided to just wait it out, since my regular ob appointment was for 10:00 a.m. that morning, and I also had to get my dog to the vet for a dental cleaning appointment. Although, if I hadn't had that regular ob appt, I would have called someone to take me to the E.R.

But I somehow managed to shower and dress, and get Chyna to the vet. They gave me a hassle on the price, which upset me so much that I cried in their office. I usually don't get that emotional, but the pain was really getting to me.
Finally 9:30 a.m. came and I went ahead and left for my appointment. I was shocked when I walked into the office and the waiting room was full! I usually get right in when I go there, who knew so many women would have appointments Christmas week. But I signed in and found a chair and just sat there in misery. They didn't call me back for 35 minutes and by then I just wanted to cry, and I was getting exhausted from the pain. I told the nurse that I wasn't feeling well, and when she checked my blood pressure, it was high for me (137/90). She got me into the room right away and told the doctor something was wrong.
When my doctor came in, I explained what had been going on, and at first she suspected gall stones. But when she did my internal exam, I began to bleed - and she knew it wasn't gall stones at all. I was also 1.5 centimeters dilated. She was now suspecting a placental abruption, and wanted me to get to the hospital right away. She told me right then, that if it was an abruption and I was in labor, that since I was far enough along (almost 36 weeks) she wouldn't even try to stop it, and this baby was coming today.

I completely freaked out and just cried and cried. I wasn't ready to have this baby!!
As upset as I was, I was also in so much pain by now that I really didn't care what it took to relieve it, even if that meant giving birth, as long as the baby would be ok. The doctor's office contacted my Dad to drive me to the hospital - I still hadn't put Julie's (my coach) work number in my wallet ( I was so unprepared), so I had them call my Dad. Once he got me to the hospital, and they filled him in on what was going on, he was able to get a hold of Julie and she made it to the hospital. They ran some tests on me, and tried many, many painful times to get in an I.V., and also did an ultrasound - where they saw fluid behind the pacenta, which they suspected was blood. Based on that, and a few other tests, they called my doctor to let her know they also believed it to be an abruption. Once she arrived and spoke with the other doctor and the nurses, she let me know that they all agreed I should go ahead and have a planned C-section, where they could take their time - if they tried to let my labor progress (I was still only 1.5 centimeters dilated at this point), it could take too much time, and if the placenta abrupted further, it could put the baby in distress, and then they'd have to do an emergency C-section anyway. They also said the baby was doing just fine at this point still, and seemed very healthy. I gave them the ok to do the planned section.
I still hadn't had any pain medication, though, and I was in complete agony. I couldn't hold back how much I was hurting anymore, and I became pretty vocal about wanting an epidural as soon as possible. They planned on giving me one anyway, to do the surgery, and luckily they said they could go ahead and do it right away.

I'd been curious how an epidural would really feel - in our Lamaze class videos the women always act like it's the most wonderful feeling in the world. Maybe if I had been in "real" labor, where the contractions would start and end, it would have made a difference, but to me it was just a strange feeling - it made me completely numb from the chest down, which did make the pain go away, but it also made me so cold that I couldn't stop shivering, and that seemed almost as miserable! I just could not wait for this to be over, even as terrified as I was. But my doctor and the nurses and assistants were so calm, that I wasn't as worried about the baby anymore. Even though they had nurses there to care for the baby just in case - and I was certain it would end up in the NICU/Special Care Nursery for a little while.
They finally got started, and I could feel twinges of pain in my lower abdomen, so they upped the medication in my epidural. The pain went away, but my shivering got worse. I was also still in shock that this was really happening. I don't know if they were explaining to me what was happening, at this point everything was a blur. Until all of a sudden I heard it - my baby was crying!!! I burst into tears when I heard it, I just couldn't believe she was here! I think it was Julie that told me it was a girl, and that she was gray and slimey ;-) Because of the sheet hanging in front of me, I coudn't see anything. And I didn't have a video camera or digital camera or anything to capture the moment, since I didn't know this was going to happen. But once they cleaned up the baby, they brought her little face to me for an eskimo kiss - she was so tiny and sweet, and I couldn't stop crying.

I found out later from my doctor, that I'd lost 5% of the placenta, and we were fortunate I had pain to warn us, since I didn't have any bleeding. She also told me that the baby had the cord around her neck TWICE - we are so lucky!! She is my miracle baby in so many ways.

I named her Kaitlyn Danielle. She was 4 pounds, 4 ounces, and 17.5 inches long. So little! But did great from the very start - and never spent a single minute in the NICU/Special Care Nursery.
So I had to spend Christmas in the hospital, but we did get to come home together on Friday, 12/26/03. And Randy came up for his scheduled visit on Saturday, 12/27/03 for a whole week. Thank goodness, perfect timing, I definitely needed the help! We're both completely in love with our new little angel, she's a total blessing. He went back to Florida on 1/3/04, but will be moving up here permanently in a few weeks. Katie-Bear, Chyna, Mercedes and I, can't wait :-)

I'm pretty sleep-deprived, and my days and nights are all mixed up, but I'm getting used to it. I guess this officially completes my pregnancy pages - thanks for sharing this whole experience with me - it's been fun!! Click the rattle below to go to Kaitlyn's picture pages :-)
Click here to go back to Weeks 33-40